Just Landed: Seville Fletcher ’09

sevilleSCAN highlights School of Communications alumni who recently landed jobs in their field. Seville Fletcher(BA, Public Relations, 2009) works as an international logistics and communications manager at Associated Footwear in St. Louis.

SCAN: How did you find out about the job you have?

Seville Fletcher: When I graduated from Webster I was interning at Hughes Integrated Marketing Agency and when that came to an end I began searching any and every where for a position. I eventually found this job through Craigslist.

What helped you most to prepare for the interview?

Running through interview questions with friends and really studying my résumé and thinking about ways I accomplished different things helped me tremendously during the interview. Also, having examples in mind of challenges I’ve faced professionally and how I overcame them is always helpful.

What was the toughest question they asked?

Why do you want this job? That’s always a tough question because you must be insightful and answer in a way that shows them, once again, why you are the person they need to hire.

What online resources would you recommended for those looking for a similar job?

I cannot express how helpful LinkedIn and Twitter have been for me in making contacts with marketing and public relations professionals. Though I found my job through another source, these platforms let you really work on your personal brand, which can and often does, parlay into a full time position with a company. Build your personal brand while showing off your social media skills.

In five words or less, how would you describe your working environment?

Intense, fast-paced, demanding, exhausting, rewarding

Who is the person in your field you most admire?

Right now I most admire is Alisha Johnson, I previously interned with her at Hughes where she was an Account Manger and she is someone I aspire to be like. She speaks Italian fluently and is currently working as Assistant Press Secretary at the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency in Washington, D.C. She is ambitious and making moves to be at the top of her game in the public relations field.

The best part about working here is …

…the freedom I have to try new things, flex my abilities and really be a part of the team. When I interned I knew what it was like to be a newbie and I am so thankful that I get the opportunity to use my Spanish, interact with customers in Latin America and learn new ways to use public relations. I have learned the back end of managing a website and really appealing to your customer/audience. Every day I am stretched and I grow in my abilities to do a great job.

The best way to start your day as an international logistics and communications manager is …

…with a big smile and a “Good Morning” to everyone in the office. Being nice and positive, no matter what way your day turns, can take you far! Also, just saying hello can network your way into a better position or salary!

I wish someone in college would have told me about…

… the difficulty of finding a job in a saturated market. While in college I was always assured that Spanish and Public Relations would be an easy sale. That just wasn’t the case. You have to have more than academics to compete in this market. Personality, creativity and innovation will take you further than anything else. Also a wonderful Linked In profile and a Facebook page sans drunk photos won’t hurt either.