Jaime Williams ’03 Releases Latest Single

[youtube]http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pnup_FSql4Y[/youtube]

Jaime Williams (BA, Media Communications, 2003) always enjoyed music and singing in her church choir, but she never really thought of it as a way to make a living, or even as a subject in which to earn a degree.

“[Singing] is something that I’m naturally good at, but if there’s too much structure around it I lose that passion,” she said. “I didn’t want it to be something I had to do. I just thought music would always be sort of a hobby for me. It was something I did at church.”

Williams instead enrolled at Webster University to become a marketing professional. And she did become one … marketing herself to a successful singing career. “Because of my background at Webster, I’m very, very picky about my personal branding,” Williams said. “It’s just me.”

jaiHer latest single dropped last month. It’s an eclectic mix of R&B/pop/hip-hop/worship entitled “Incredible.”

Williams, who sings under the name “Jai,” is a third generation minister, a minister of music, a wife and a mother. With more than 20 years in the field of ministry, Jai has served as a Sunday School Teacher, Women’s Retreat and Conference Facilitator, speaker and Psalmist at churches all over the country.

But her educational passion was always media communications. She graduated in 2003 with a BA in media communications that emphasized public relations. She then landed a coveted job at Fuse Advertising. “It was my dream job,” she said.

The dream changed when Williams became a mother. “I made a choice to step away from working and spend time being a mom,” she said.

It was during this time away from the workplace that Williams reignited her passion for writing and performing music. She recorded a few songs and sent them out on her own.

“I’m so grateful for the knowledge and skills I learned at Webster University, but it’s kind of a blessing and a curse,” Williams said. “Most people see the quality of my brand and assume I’m signed to a big label. I’m not. It’s all me.”

With the support of her family and friends, Williams career took off. She has shared the stage with Tye Tribett and G.A., Byron Cage, John P. Kee, Deborah Cox, Da Truth, Flame, Shirley Ceasar, Yolanda Adams, Hezekiah Walker, Rickey Smiley, KiKi Sheard, 21:03, and JMoss to name a few.

More information about Jai and her upcoming performances can be found on her website.